To see High Wycombe transformed by God through His loving, serving and worshipping church.
To be a community of Christians who love God, follow Jesus and share the hope which we have in Him.
We aspire to be....
God centred, joyful lives filled with gratitude
Applying God’s truth in scripture to our lives
Dependent on God for everything
Loving and serving others across generations and cultures
Intentionally sharing the Good News locally and globally
Reaching out to those in need, especially to the most vulnerable
Giving generously our time, talents and wealth
Underpinning our vision, mission and values is The Evangelical Alliance Basis of Faith, to which we subscribe, detailed below: We believe in...
1. The one true God who lives eternally in three persons – the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
2. The love, grace and sovereignty of God in creating, sustaining, ruling, redeeming and judging the world.
3. The divine inspiration and supreme authority of the Old and New Testament Scriptures, which are the written Word of God – fully trustworthy for faith and conduct.
4. The dignity of all people, made male and female in God’s image to love, be holy and care for creation, yet corrupted by sin, which incurs divine wrath and judgement.
5. The incarnation of God’s eternal Son, the Lord Jesus Christ – born of the virgin Mary; truly divine and truly human, yet without sin.
6. The atoning sacrifice of Christ on the cross: dying in our place, paying the price of sin and defeating evil, so reconciling us with God.
7. The bodily resurrection of Christ, the first fruits of our resurrection; his ascension to the Father, and his reign and mediation as the only Saviour of the world.
8. The justification of sinners solely by the grace of God through faith in Christ.
9. The ministry of God the Holy Spirit, who leads us to repentance, unites us with Christ through new birth, empowers our discipleship and enables our witness.
10. The church, the body of Christ both local and universal, the priesthood of all believers — given life by the Spirit and endowed with the Spirit’s gifts to worship God and proclaim the gospel, promoting justice and love.
11. The personal and visible return of Jesus Christ to fulfill the purposes of God, who will raise all people to judgement, bring eternal life to the redeemed and eternal condemnation to the lost, and establish a new heaven and new earth.
We are also a church in Association with The Baptist Union of Great Britain.
Marriage at Union Baptist Church
We celebrate God's gift of marriage to us and use the following wording at all marriage services:
‘God has made us male and female and marriage is his gift, a holy mystery in which man and woman become one flesh, united in love, and called to be faithful to each other throughout their lives. Marriage is given so that husband and wife may comfort and help each other, living faithfully together in need and plenty, in sorrow and in joy. It is given that with delight and tenderness they may know each other in love and through the joy of their bodily union, may strengthen the union of their hearts and lives. It is given so that the stability it imparts to their relationship may be a source of strength to others [and the foundation of a secure family life for any children they may have]. In marriage husband and wife belong to one another, and they begin a new life in the community. It is a way of life that all should honour; it must not be undertaken carelessly, lightly, or selfishly but reverently, responsibly and after serious thought’.
(This wording was approved at the Church Members Meeting on 19th November 2013 and reaffirmed at the Annual Church Meeting on 21st March 2023)
We have found the resources and ministry of Living Out very helpful in the area of human sexuality.